Proposals of Workshop ôHuman Rights and International Aid and Defense Organizationsö Participants
ĎňýÓ: LIENIP News
A legal workshop ôHuman Rights and International Aid and Defense Organizationsö took place between 27 and 30 April 2009 in St. Petersburg. It was organized by Diakonisches Werk (Germany). The workshop was aimed to provide insight into the UNO human rights mechanisms, UN and CE structures and agencies. 15 non-commercial human rights and social organizations from Ukraine and Russia working with disabled persons, homeless, HIV- positive, sexual minorities, victims of violence, trade unions, migrants, prisoners, indigenous peoples, etc. took part in the event.
The workshop enabled its participants to reveal the state of target groups they represent, challenges and potential. They presented their practices in problem solving, effective working techniques with target groups and activities at national level. Civil movement mainstreaming in Russia was also discussed.
The participants obtained information about CE remedies.
Correlation of various human rights necessitates complex solution of social and economic rights. At the end of the workshop the participants:
1. stated that the Russian Federation Constitution and federal law exercise civil social and economic rights. According to 7th article of the Constitution Russia is a social State. And according to pt. 4, article 15 of the Constitution ôThe universally-recognized norms of international law and international treaties and agreements of the Russian Federation shall be a component part of its legal systemö;
2. stated the Russian Federationĺs ratification of International Pact on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights and European Convention on Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms. Thereby the Russian Federation undertook to create favourable conditions for protection and execution of economic and social rights of citizens;
3. approved the Russian Federationĺs decision to ratify European Social Charter;
4. noted that ratification of international treaties does not imply effective protection of rights in national law;
5. declared the necessity to combine efforts of government, civil society and unprotected population groups in protection and execution of economic and social rights.
The participants also decided to contribute to protection of social and economic rights in Russia by means of:
1. initiation of coalition of non-government organizations supported by Diakonisches Werk;
2. joint preparation of the alternative report about the Russian Federationĺs implementation of International Pact on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights;
3. attraction of other non-government organizations to preparation of the alternative report in their regions and other kinds of activities;
4. making LIENIP responsible for preparation of the alternative report.
Participants of Workshop ôHuman Rights and International Aid and Defense Organizationsö
27-30 April 2009, St. Petersburg, Russia